- Step 1 is where the parameters of the strategy are defined. These parameters are the same as the compare tab parameters.
- Step 2 is where the values of your investment portfolio are entered. The trade tab is designed to give buy and sell recommendations, and since the software does not know the assets in your investment portfolio, step 2 is where you define what you own. A snapshot is the tickers and values of your current account.
- Each snapshot represents a real or hypothetical investment portfolio for a particular date. Enter the snapshot date here. Changing this date will update the values column of the grid below, while maintaining the share count.
- This grid functions similar to columns and rows in excel. Enter the ticker symbols in the portfolio in the “ticker” column, then enter either the amount or num of shares in the portfolio. The shares column will auto update if you enter a value. And the value will auto update if you enter shares.
- Each snapshot can be saved to the FT Rebalance cloud. There buttons will save, save as, and load snapshots.
- After defining step 1 and step 2, click the “Get Recommendations” button to generate the model portfolio and buy/sell recommendations.
- Buy recommendations are displayed in the top grid and sell recommendations are displayed on the bottom. These grids function similar to excel and show statistics of the recommendations.
- The net buy and sell checkbox will net all buy and sell recommendations to give a netted buy or sell recommendation. ie. If the model recommends “Sell 20 shares of VFINX”, then recommends “buy 15 Shares of VFINX,” checking the “net buy and sell” check box will give a netted recommendation of “Sell 5 shares of VFINX”
- Add and removed statistics from the buy and sell recommendation grids by checking and unchecking these items.
- Benchmark is used to calculate the UPI and correlation statistics. Basis is used to calculate the sharpe ratio.
- The statistics are calculated using these dates. The end date is the “snapshot” date defined in step 2 and the start date is the snapshot date minus the rebalance period.
ex: Snapshot date = 3/28/13 and rebalance period = Quarterly. Start date = 12/31/12 and end date = 3/28/13
- What is the purpose of this tab?
The Trade Tab answers the question “What should I do today?” It bridges testing strategies and real life investing.
Use this tab to learn
- What to selling in your current portfolio
- What to buy with the money raised from those sales
- Where do I start?
- Step 1:Enter model parameters
Put the best parameters that you discovered on the Compare Tab into the Step 1 Table.
“Best” means the model that gives you the risk and return you need to meet your investment goals.
- Step 2:Enter your current assets
Tickers used must be within the FastTrack database. Click for a complete list of open-end, closed-end, and ETF funds.
If the ticker is unknown, then simply list the asset as money market (for example, VMMXX) and it will be reallocated over time according to the model rules.
FT Rebalance Lite users can use only members of the VGFullTerm family in the assets list.
Forget the pennies, There is no harm in rounding down the dollars as well.
Skip in small holdings if you wish.
- Step 3:Review Recommendations
The table is separated into “Sell Recommendations” and “Buy Recommendations”
These recommended trades can be made before the close of market today.After market close, wait till the evening results are posted at 8:00PM Central time market days then repeat analysis with updated data.
The market changes from Step 2 can usually be safely ignored. The recommendations will be drawn from the most recent market close price, not from the asset values.3. Trading Notes
Where the “Action” column shows “SELL ALL”, then specify your trade (at the brokerage) as “Sell ALL”
Consider selling very small positions and leaving the assets in cash.
You must be aware of trading restrictions, if any, in your brokerage trading program. All trading programs have some requirements regarding frequency of trading and minimum trade amounts.
- Step 1:Enter model parameters
- Why am I seeing Buy recommendations of $0 and no sell recommendations ? This occurs when you have not entered any values in Step 2. To receive sell recommendations enter values for your current holdings.